Monday, September 22, 2008

Richard Avedon at the Corcoran



Has anyone else seen this show? Thoughts? I wasn't sure -- and actually felt a bit underwhelmed after walking through the exhibition last week. I had seen Avedon's famous fashion photographs in San Francisco at Fraenkel Gallery several years ago, which I LOVED, and these "portraits of power" at the Corcoran here in Washington were obviously a bit different in both subject matter and purpose. The walls of each gallery were lined with small photographs of everyone ranging from Barack Obama (2004) to Dorothy Parker (1958) - the comprehensive scope of which was somewhat at odds with the idea of a few people in power over many others. Most of them were taken from the waist up, or just the head, some were emotionally expressive, others weren't. After a while my eyes glazed over -- until I reached the outside hallway where 5 large scale pictures were placed side by side, each taken almost full-length, and installed high enough on the wall so that each person's eyes were looking down at mine. I finally stopped my meandering and became transfixed by the images. They were riveting - especially of Rose Kennedy, whose slim and frail figure belied the power of her gaze which spoke of generations of family, legacy, tradition, and a lifetime of experiences much beyond what I could comprehend standing before her.

One of the Washington Post reviews last week was a bit scathing - questioning whether or not the pictures spoke of "inner truth" or perversity. And others have questioned the Cocoran's motivation behind mounting such a wide-appealing and perhaps commercial show (vis-a-vis Ansel Adams), particularly because of their impoverished financial situation. Interesting questions to ponder.

Richard Avedon, Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1964

Richard Avedon, Rose Kennedy, 1976

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw that show twice- once on my own and once with friends. The pictures I remember most are the handsome one of Obama at the end, Allen Ginsburg and friend (can't remember(), Nureyev, and Marian Anderson. I liked being able to see those up close. I also liked the hall with the Vietnam protesters and government leaders facing each other off. It seems like the Corcoran always has one big crowd pleaser exhibit. That said, I am a member, because there aren't many museums that put up big photography exhibits.

Nice blog, by the way!

Gail Bailey

Christie Lavigne said...

Hi Gail!! So happy to see your comment, please keep them coming! Thanks for reading. And I agree with the Obama portrait, very confrontational in a good way. I checked out your blog as well, it's great - I love the Oct. 6 Laurie Simmons-esque photo of the dolls shopping. How fun that we're both blogging. :)) your big sis