Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Gregory Crewdson



The first time I saw a Crewdson photograph, several years ago in one of our contemporary corporate collections, I was struck by the eerie yet peaceful quality of both the composition and the subject matter. How had the artist achieved such a strange and perfect balance? Later I learned that all of his work is choreographed and staged, in either an interior stage set or on location, with a deeply articulated philosophy behind the finished product.

In this recent interview with Crewdson, we get a glimpse into his creative process and perspective, which encompasses all of the reasons why I love contemporary art so much. He describes how his work presents a tension or "collision" of diametrically opposed values, between the familiar and the strange, and the mysterious and the beautiful. And when those values come together, there is a "moment of grace" - an alignment between subject and artist - and I would argue - between artwork and viewer - because of the very nature of tension and the energizing movement required to resolve it.

3 comments:

ashleigh said...

I had never heard of Crewdson! Thanks for introducing me to his work--fascinating. His photographs remind me a bit of Hopper--the same loneliness.

Unknown said...

YES, yes, the existentialist angst is very much apart of his work (in my opinion) which is why I like him so much. I don't know much about Hopper, which paintings do you like? :) Christie

ashleigh said...

Well, I just got to see Nighthawks at the Art Institute in Chicago over the weekend--love it. But, I think I like some of his interior scenes with women the best. There was a great Hopper exhibit at the National Gallery in DC last fall, did you have a chance to see it?