Thursday, September 4, 2008

Looking at Art -- In the Eyes of the Beholder




Another perspective I plan to include in my blog are images of other people observing art - because everyone's experience is unique unto themselves. Some people sit and look, others walk by, others stand, some draw, or take photographs, some stay, some go. These posts will be my nod to Thomas Struth's investigation along similar ideas.

Georges Seurat, A Sunday on La Grande Jatte, 1884, Art Institute of Chicago, 2006

Ryan McGinness at the Museum of Modern Art, New York, 2004

Gustave Caillebotte, Paris Street; Rainy Day, 1877, Art Institute of Chicago, 2007

4 comments:

ashleigh said...

What a great idea! My dad and I both have a bunch of pictures of people observing art. Some of my favorites were taken at the MoMA. I like capturing the uncertainty some people seem to experience when viewing modern art.

Christie Lavigne said...

Oh thanks Ashleigh! I think this topic will be the main focus of my blog - it took me a while to figure it out. I'd love to see your pictures, do you want to post them here? Maybe I should open it up to other people contributing their own observations of people looking at art, and I would attribute each photographer with their name. I've seen a few other bloggers do something similar. Just a thought - if nothing else, I'm thrilled to have you as a reader, and I've enjoyed your posts immensely!! :)

ashleigh said...

Christie, I saw this picture this morning and thought of your post: http://goldwaterlibrary.typepad.com/rgl/2008/09/the-americas-exhibit.html

It should be titled "Art eats museum goer"

Also, I wouldn't mind e-mailing you the pictures I have of people looking at art, if you would like.

Christie Lavigne said...

Ha!! Hysterical, I love it. Thanks for the link. Yes, email me whatever you'd like me to post - and how I should reference your name/blog/etc. How fun! :)) And I've been admiring the artworks you've written about from your gallery; it must be wonderful to live with these pieces every day. Thanks again.